Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tomatoes Tomatoes Everywhere!!!


It's official we have more tomatoes than we know what to do with.  We planted tomato seeds we received as a wedding present and ended up with hundreds of heirloom and zebra tomatoes.  If the 12 tomato plants weren't enough to keep us in business for the season the two bushels of tomatoes I bought from Fiesta Farms may have been a bit over the top.  Two bushels is in the neighborhood of 600 Roma tomatoes.  I know it's bananas.  But, I can explain I fell head over heels for Gayla Trail's book "Grow Great Grub" which led me to her blog which gave me so many tasty tomato recipes I needed to try them.  Typically Mike and I put up a bushel or two of plain old tomatoes but this year, thanks to Gayla, I made ketchup,  tried my hand at delicious oven dried tomatoes that Karyn posted about last year and finally made a few salsa recipes.  None have been perfect but I'm still trying.  I think the key might be roasting the tomatoes and removing the hot pepper seeds before putting them in.  

Some of you may be wondering where my five month old was?  Well she was giggling and cooing from her bumbo watching the craziness happen while I sang, made faces and rolled my tongue at her for the five straight days it took me to make it happen.  




Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at a green tomato salsa. If it turns out G and I will be in the kitchen putting up some salsa.  We have about a hundred of these zebra tomatoes we need to make use of.  

PS:   I would give you the oven dried tomato recipe but I got it from the Grow Great Grub book and feel like it's not mine to post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment